Making plant milk at home allows you to use the pulp to make delicious homemade desserts like the hazelnut cake that we introduce today. The original recipe was sent to us by Marisa Fuentes and we have adapted it a bit for the vegan version.
Vegan hazelnut cake recipe
We have only made a small change replacing chicken eggs by vegan eggs. There are multiple ways to make the vegan egg for a cake with: soy yogurt, silken tofu, applesauce, mashed banana, flax / chia seeds.
Vegan flax egg
I used what I had on hand this time, flax seeds. To replace 1 egg in the cake recipe you have to mix 1 tablespoon of ground flax seeds and 3 tablespoons of water (about 50 ml). If I have to substitute 3 eggs as in the case of this recipe, I will triple the quantities. Once we have thoroughly mixed the flax with the water, let it rest for about 15 minutes until it becomes a gel with a sticky texture similar to egg. At this point, it is ready to use.
Ingredients for the hazelnut vegan cake:
- 150g hazelnut pulp.
- 100g sultana raisins (or chopped dates)
- 200g of organic whole wheat flour
- 100g defatted cocoa
- 3 vegan eggs
- 100g organic sugar or (3 tablespoons of rice syrup)
- 150 ml hazelnut milk (or any other nut milk)
- 8 tablespoons EVOO
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon of baking powder (or baking soda)
- 1 pinch of salt.
- Peanut butter for topping (optional).
Preparation time: 1 hour.
- Mix the flour, cocoa, vanilla and salt in a bowl.
- Then add the yeast and mix well.
- After adding the yest add and mix well the following ingredients: 100g of sugar, 150 ml of nut milk, 150 g of hazelnut pulp (or other nuts), 3 vegan eggs, 8 tablespoons of oil, 100gr of raisins.
- If the dough is too liquid, add more flour and mix well.
- Grease a cake pan and place the dough in it.
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC and bake the cake for 25 minutes, making sure it does not burn.
Peanut butter topping
Add a little warme hazelnut milk or any other plant milk to the peanut butter and mix to obtain the ideal light consistency to decorate the cake. It can also be used as a filling for the cake as a jam, that’s up to taste!
We have our sponge cake for breakfast or snacks. Now we just have to enjoy it!
Thank you for your contribution Marisa, we will be happy to receive your delicious proposals.
More sweet recipes with plant milk pulps in the pulp section of this blog.