Making the perfect homemade vegan mayonnaise need some tricks. Homemade mayonnaise is a simple and quick recipe and here are basic tips to fix broken it. We have tried the same recipe with different plant milks and soy milk is the one that emulsifies the best.
However, getting a mayonnaise with the ideal texture has been quite an adventure. After several failures, we have discovered a few key tricks that guarantee the success of the recipe.
5 easy tricks to fix broken vegan mayonnaise
When the mayonnaise does not emulsify we lose time and waste food. However, getting a mayonnaise with the ideal texture has been exciting. The following tips that we share with you are the key to ensure a successful result. Considering these 5 easy tricks you will be able to make a perfect creamy vegan mayonnaise with the genuine flavor of the classic mayonnaise made with egg, oil and vinegar.
- CONTAINER: Blend the ingredients into the hand blender accesory narrow container or similar size one.
- HAND BLENDER: Use the medium-low power of the mixer. Avoid the turbo position.
- TEMPERATURE: Make sure the ingredients are at room temperature.
- PLANT MILK: The result is much better if you use a concentrated soy milk (the recipe below)
- ORDER OF THE INGREDIENTS: It’s essential to put the plant milk and the other ingredients before adding the oil. Add the oil carefully not to mix with the milk, tilting the container a little and pouring slowly the oil so that it remains as a top layer.
How to make concentrated soy milk
Concentrated soy milk is an essential ingredient to ensure a good result. As you can see in the Vegan Milker blog there are several recipes to make homemade soy milk. It can be made with raw soaked or cooked grains. The most suitable version to make vegan mayonnaise is as follows:
- Soak 50 g of white soybeans for 8-12 hours and discard the soaking water.
- Put 250 ml of hot water (70ºC) in the Vegan Milker container and place the filter with the soybeans and a pinch of salt.
- Blend the soybeans with the hand blender for 1-2 minutes and filter the milk.
- Place the milk in a saucepan and bring it to boil. Once it’s boiling lower the heat and cook it for 15 minutes stirring so that it does not stick to the bottom.
- Let it cool down.
You will see that the milk obtains a dense consistency, it must be much more concentrated than the usual soy milk!
How to make vegan mayonnaise
Using the key tricks we have shared with you above, specially the concentrated soy milk that we have suggested, success is assured! If you prepare the concentrated soy milk, to assemble the vegan mayonnaise will be so easy.
100 ml of concentrated soy milk
100 ml of cold-pressed extra virgin olive oil (sunflower or olive oil, indistinctly)
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp lemon juice (24 drops)
1 small chopped garlic clove (can be omitted but it adds flavor and a bit of texture)
If you want to add color, you could add 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric or paprika (optional)
Preparation of the concentrated soy milk 20 minutes
Preparation of the mayonnaise 5 minutes
Put all the ingredients except the oil in a container and blend.
Add the oil carefully making sure that it remains as a top layer on top of the soy milk.
Place the hand blender in the bottom of the recipient and blend again in a gentle position keeping it fixed for 1 or 2 minutes at the most.
The oil and milk will emulsify until completely combined. At this moment you can move the mixer up and down (approx 15 seconds) to homogenize the mixture.
Consume it immediately or keep it in the fridge where it conserve perfectly for 3 to 5 days and will also thicken a little more.
We keep testing!