If you travel to the Balearic Islands or the Mediterranean basin you can enjoy, among other things, a slushy almond milk or horchata. The “granissat d’ametla”, as it is known in the area, is a popular refreshment. It is a refreshing and nutritious drink, very suitable to alleviate the hot flush on hot days. Gluten free, it is an ideal option for people with celiac disease.
A traditional soft drink
The rural area of the Balearic Islands and a large part of the Mediterranean enjoys large areas with almond trees. Almonds are a highly appreciated and abundant local ingredient used in various Italian and Spanish culinary preparations, including a wide range of pastries and homemade horchatas or plant milks.
The slushy almond milk also known as “horchata de almendras” is an example of this culinary background that certifies the ancestral character of plant milks. To learn more about the history of plant milks, I recommend this article that we publish with great affection and that is also in video format, which will surprise you!
Slushy almond milk recipe
Let’s start with the recipe! There are several alternatives to prepare it, but the quickest and easiest way to make granita almond milk at home is with a Vegan Milker.
- 0.8 liters of water
- 150 g almonds
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 10-20g of organic sugar (1 tablespoon)
- Ice cubes
Preparation of the almond milk:
Preparation time: 10 minutes.
Resting time: 10 hours
- Soak the almond 8 hours in the fridge and discard the soaking water.
- Fill the Vegan Milker container with 0.8 liters of water and place the filter.
- Add the 100g almonds, cinnamon, lemon zest and sugar into the filter and blend with a hand blender for 1 minute. Add the rest of the almonds and blend again.
- Let rest for 5 minutes.
- Raise the filter above the milk and stir the pulp with a wooden spoon until you see that almost all the liquid has been filtered.
- To finish the process, press the pulp with a mortar.
- Put the horchata in the fridge and let it rest for at least 2 hours so that it is more flavorful and settled.
- Serve slushy (or at least cold) with cinnamon sprinkled on top.
How to slush the drink
There are more laborious methods to slush the “granissat d’ametla”, but the easiest and quickest way is to place the ice cubes inside a cloth and beat them until they break well. Then add it to the almond milk just before serving.